Things to See and Do - Kep, Cambodia
Kep Beach - Kep
Kep was Cambodia's top seaside destination until eclipsed in the 1960s by Sihanoukville (and, soon after, decades of civil war). The town is full of ruined shells of old villas, destroyed in the Khmer Rouge days and during the subsequent Civil War and stripped down by the leaving Vietnamese army.
Today's Kep has recently become established as a Khmer holiday spot and is slowly being rediscovered by travelers. The once very poor Kep beach is now being filled up with snow white sand from Otres Beach and is extended to 50m, still the main beach is located at the idyllic Koh Tonsay (Rabbit Island, 20min by long tail boat), just off the coast.
The charm of this coastal resort lies in its peacefulness, its National Park, and its seafood.
A single, kilometer long crescent of sand near the tip of the Kep peninsula. Dining platforms and seafood vendors line the road behind the beach. Busy on weekends but often deserted during the week. The road through Kep traces the coastline to the beach and then circles back on itself. Cars and vans must pay admission to drive the loop (2500R - 5000R). Motorcycles and pedestrians are free. Be aware that the loop is an one-way street and the police do occasionally enforce the law, levy fines against violators.
How to get there:
- From Kampot: A new road smooth and safe connects these two cities, which are 25km apart. Takes 20-40 minute. Bus $2-3. For a motorcycle taxi ($4 - $6) or tuk-tuk (around $8) be prepared to bargain like a local or pay a bit more. Package day tours between the two towns often include a visit to nearby destinations such as Koh Tonsay, the caves between Kampot and Kep, and a pepper plantation. Check bus tickets from Kampot to Kep online.
- From Phnom Penh: The road is paved, smooth and well sign posted. Around 4-5 hours by bus. Several bus companies serve Kep ($7 - $8, Jan 2017) and offer various departure times from 7am through to 1pm. You can book the bus ticket by online from Phnom Penh to Kep or v.v in advance.
- Hiring your own taxi should cost around $40-50 (2.5 to 3 hours). Private taxi can book online for Phnom Penh to Kep or v.v in advance.
- From Sihanoukville: Minibuses take around 2 hours and cost around US$8 (shop around, prices vary). Departures are in the morning.
- From Ha Tien, Vietnam: Motorbike taxis take 45 min and should cost 100,000+ dong (~US$5). Bargain hard and in dollars, it'll work out cheaper than in dong. It is a 45min journey.
Map of Kep Beach
Other Attractions in Kep
A single, kilometer long crescent of sand near the tip of the Kep peninsula. Dining platforms and seafood vendors line the road behind the beach. Busy on weekends but often deserted during the week. The road through Kep traces the coastline to the beach and then circles back on itself. Cars and vans must pay admission to drive the... read more
Zoo, Kep City is one of the most visited sites among the various Tourist Attractions in Kep City. Kep is a seaside city tucked away 173 kilometers to the south west of Phnom Penh. History has it that it was founded in 1908 during the times of the French colonization. Kep City was transformed into a beautiful seaside resort during... read more
Wat Samot Reangsey, Kep City is one of those sites which you should not miss while you are on your Kep City Tours. Kep is popular as a serene seaside city tucked away 173 kilometers to the south west of Phnom Penh. The city was founded in 1908 during the times of the French colonization. The city was received its seaside resort in... read more
Phnom Sar Sear is a nature and cultural site located about 14 Kilometers southwest of Kep city. this mountain is called Phnom Sar Sear because, according to Khmer legend mentioned above, when Prince Sakor Reach led the troops to this place, he got off his horse and moved furtively2 ahead of his pursuers along the mountainside, where... read more
Phnom Sar Sear Resort is the natural and cultural resort locating at the Southeast in 14-kilometer distance from the provincial town of Kam Pot. When the King, Sa Kor Reach and his troop arrive at the seaside area, he gets off the horseback and move furtively along the mountain side (at that time the mountain was an island) for... read more
Koh Ton Say Resort is the natural resort locating at the Southeast of Kep town in 4.5-kilometer distance from the town, and has two beaches suitable for swimming because they have white sand and shallow water. At the bottom of the sea, there are varied fish, plant and coral, which enable the research on ecology. The name ?Koh Ton... read more