03 Jul 2012
WELLINGTON, July 3 (Xinhua) -- Tourism spending in the earthquake-battered city of Christchurch dropped by 10 percent last year as travelers stayed away, New Zealand government figures released Tuesday show.
The Regional Tourism Estimates, from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, showed international and domestic visitors spent 15.1 billion NZ dollars (12.15 billion U.S. dollars) across the country last year, up 5 percent from 2010.
However, the Christchurch earthquakes, particularly the Feb. 22 quake that killed 185 people, had a big impact on regional tourist spending, said the ministry's tourism research and evaluation manager, Peter Ellis.
"Tourism spending in Christchurch dropped by 10 percent to 1.8 billion NZ dollars, led by a 22-percent fall in international visitor (accommodation) nights," Ellis said in a statement.
Spending in the Canterbury region surrounding Christchurch also dropped 10 percent to hit 1.8 billion NZ dollars.
Meanwhile, the country's biggest city, Auckland, had a good year for tourism largely thanks to the Rugby World Cup, which New Zealand hosted in September and October last year.
Auckland had 24.9 million international and domestic visitor nights, up 6 percent, and visitors to Auckland spent 4.7 billion NZ dollars, up 10 percent.
Sourced: Xinhuanet