Things to See and Do - Sihanouk ville, Cambodia
Koh Rong Sanloem (Seracen Bay) - Sihanouk ville
Koh Rong Sanloem is changing fast. Photos and descriptions from two years ago will be out of date. There are two main places to stay: Saracen's bay or Mpei bay. There are also private one hostel only beaches on lazy beach or Mad Monkey, these may require direct transfers or a lot of walking.
Saracen's bay is no longer the unspoilt paradise it is often described but it's definitely not the circus of Koh Phi Phi for example. The is no stretch of undeveloped beach along the long bay. The hostel are spaced apart and very few encroach on the beach. More of a resort with no Khmer families seeming to live there. There are hotels with infinity pools and $15+ mains. Still a few dorms and rooms below $20 but few cheap eats, it's backpacking days may be numbered.
Mbei Bay is much more rough and ready, a decent amount of construction and the main beach could do with a litter pick. Hotels all backpacker focused and cheap eats a plenty. Nice village feel and Khmer families living there.
Koh Rong Sanloem can be reached by boat from Sihanoukville in around an hour, don't always leave on time but generally punctual for island time. $10 each way, most will only want to sell you a $20 open return. Currently many tour operators offer daily trips to the island. There are also multiple fast ferry options available. EcoSea Dive offers overnight trips to their bungalows on the northern part of the island and The Dive Shop  runs a daily ferry from Sihanoukville to the sunset beach located on the western side of the island.
You have two choices in your style of boat to the island. You can make it into a day trip and go on either of the cruise boats Party Boat or Sun Tours. These take a whole day to get there but its an enjoyable ride, including lunch, snorkeling trip and drinks at the bar onboard.
That is fun but if you don't care about that and just want to get to the island as quickly as possible then its best to go on the fast catamaran which takes only 45 minutes Speed Ferry Cambodia
What to see
There is an old lighthouse, some waterfalls and mangroves and some pretty good dive sites around the island.
What to do
Koh Rong Sanloem is the cradle of Cambodian diving. It's where all the dive companies based in Sihanoukville mostly head when they take divers out. It also serves as mid-way point for dive trips heading all the way out to condor reef.
- KarmaKazi, Saracen's bay, ☎ +855 9347 3636 (firstname.lastname@example.org), 08:00-21:00. KarmaKazi has been operating on the Saracen's bay. They allow you to experience the snorkelling, scuba diving trips in a smaller more intimate affair with a maximum of twenty (20) passengers on each trip. They also have an office in Otre 1 if you would like to book ferry tickets or tours to Ream National Park and Bokor Waterfalls.
Mbei Bay hike to Clear Water Bay
Clear Water Bay is a really beautiful beach with gorgeous water and almost no building or person in sight. It takes about 75mins from Mpei Bay. If you look out to the sea from MB head to your right towards the other pier. Walk 20 minutes to that pier when you get to Koh Rong Samloem Villas. The old lady will moan that you are on her private beach so wade into the water to the yellower water where the sand banks is. Wade through the water for about 15 minutes (thigh height) and aim for the headland or the rocks just before it. When you get to the rocks you should look behind them and there is a sign to clear water bay / driftwood. Follow it through the jungle (easy path to follow) for about 30/40 minutes. There is a turning to a tiny beach after 25mins but continue on the main path to clear water bay.
Where to eat and drink
M'pai Bay, although small and quiet, has a high standard of food with local specialities and flavours from around the world.
Saracen Bay offers many restaurants with various kind of cuisine .
- Easy Tiger Bungalows (Easy Tiger), M'pai Bay, Koh Rong Samloem, ☎ +855968644392 +855969153370, Exquisite Eastern and western dishes available from our multi-culinary kitchen. Opening hours 7:00am - 9:30pm
Chill Inn, M'Pai Bay, ☎ +855 (0) 86 86 05 22, . You can find this Breezy Beach Bar & Guesthouse in the up and coming Traditional Fishing Village of M'Pai Bay on north coast of Koh Rong Samloem, Dorm Rooms Available.
Where to sleep
The majority of places to stay are at Saracen Bay.
- Chill Inn, M'Pai Bay, ☎ +855 (0) 86 86 05 22. In the up and coming Traditional Fishing Village of M'Pai Bay on north coast of Koh Rong Samloem, find this Breegzy BeachBar & Guesthouse. Dorm' Rooms Available.
- Sunset Bungalows, M'pai Bay, ☎ 086 652456, 093 244365. In M'pai bay on north coast of Koh Rong Sanloem, 9 Bungalows, kayaks and scuba diving available. $50.
- Lazy Beach, ☎ 016 214211, 017 456536. On the Southwest coast of Koh Rong Sanloem, 16 Bungalows, books and games availabe. Extensive menu and good food. . $50.
- M'PayBay, ☎ 016 596111. An eco-friendly resort which lies on the north shore of Koh Rong Sanloem. Bungalow: $20; Tent: $7.
- Freedom Island Bungalows, ☎ 034 633 3830. The resort is located on the north end of Saracen Bay, 4 bungalows, nature pool fed from a waterfall. $35.
- Robinson Bungalows, ☎ 034933664. On the west coast of Koh Rong Sanloem where the sunsets can be seen best, 10 Bungalows, excellent snorkeling just off the beach. $15-$20.
- EcoSea Dive. offers overnight trips where you stay in their primitive bungalows on the northern part of the island and The Dive Shop works together with the Robinson Bungalows on the western (sunset) side of the island. In both outfits the overnight stay is severely discounted for divers. Snorklers and people just looking to get away pay more for their stay.
- Secret Paradise Resort, Saracen Bay, ☎ 069354800. On the unspoiled Saracen Bay beach. Offers 5 deluxe bungalows.
- Paradise Villas (Paradise Bungalows Villas), ☎ 092548883. checkin: 12.00 am; checkout: 12.00 am. Far eastern end of Saracen Bay beach - 400 meters private beach, waterfall, fresh water lake. $55-$70.
- Cita Resort, Saracen bay, ☎ 0962612418. Double floor bungalows few steps from the sea. Italian restaurant.
- Driftwood Bungalows & Hostel, Clear Water Bay, ☎ +855 969 753 023. Located on a beautiful, secluded 2km long private beach. Snorkelling and dive spots on each end of the bay, and sunrise over the ocean each morning. Dorms, Bungalows and Food Available. Dorm:$4.
- The Drift. Affordable and very well kept hostel with dorm beds and one private room located in the village on M'Pai Bay. Delicious and very cheap veggie dinners also available.
- Kon Rong Samloem Island, Kon Rong Samloem Island, ☎ +855 (0) 86 86 05 22. Recopilation of Resorts with opinions and videos 30$
Map of Koh Rong Sanloem (Seracen Bay)
Other Attractions in Sihanouk ville
Koh Rong Island is a Cambodian Island in the Gulf of Thailand, at about 40km off the coast of Sihanoukville. Actually, the island is deserted, undeveloped and untouched. It's a secret island. But it will be soon one of the famous touristic destination of Cambodia. The island is certainly the most beautiful island of the Kompong Som... read more
Also known as the â€˜Hun Sen Beach,â€™ the Prek Treng Beach a few kilometers north of town is a long, narrow crescent of sand, a bit rocky in parts, offering comparatively warm shallow waters. Due to Prek Trengâ€™s distance from town and complete lack of services (no guesthouses,... read more
Independence Beach gets its name from the deserted hulk of the 7 -storey Independence Hotel at the north end. Locals call this beach 'otel bram-pil chann (hotel 7-stories). It is labeled '7-Chann Beach' on the in-town street sign. Independence is more than a kilometer long, but the sandy area is much narrower making the beach best... read more
Sokha Beach adjoins O'Cheuteal Beach. It is also long though the water is deeper than here. The beach was once more crowded than O'Cheuteal Beach, because Cambodians prefer it to the other beaches. However, Oknha Sok Kung's Sokha Hotel Company recently took over operations at the beach. The company is building up the area in hope of... read more
The beach is located in front of Koh Pors (Snake Island). It offers a number of services, including comfortable restrooms, fresh water and good transportation service to Koh Pors. Thus, many local and international visitors go to this beach. There are many well organized kiosks along the beach, the waves are not big, and invironment... read more
Deum Chhrey Beach is located in fornt of the City Hall. Few tourists swim here because there is a big restaurant nearby. It is popular with tourists who like walk along the beach, however, because there is a picturesque park filled with statues, making site popular with photographers. read more
Natioal Raod 4,Kilometer Post 135, Kompong Seila District, Preah Sihanouk Province. unwind and relax in our beautiful, clean, natural and privacy wooden cottages overlooking psectacular vast green mountaint range and forest. we can arrrange for seminar, meetting or other corporate event. please contact us to discuss your plan. read more
Ochheuteal Beach, known as UNTAC Beach in the early 1990s and it is now the most popular in Sihanoukville, offering the full spectrum of beach venues from upscale hotels and dining to laid-back budget beach bars and bungalows. Ochheuteal is long, sandy and narrow, with 'Serendipity Beach' at the northern end, a golf-course... read more
Wat Leu, Sihanoukville is one of the 5 main wats in the picturesque port city of Sihanoukville. These Wats, or Buddhist temples, are scattered around Sihanoukville in Cambodia. Although Sihanoukville is an important port city and is known for its natural treasures but the wats made it one of the most Tourists Attractions in... read more
Kbal Chhay waterfall is located in Khan Prey Nup, about 16 kilometers north of the downtown Sihanoukville. To reach the site from Sihanoukville, take National Road 4 toward Phnom Penh. About 7 kilometers out side of town, there is a sign announcing the site. Turn left and go 9 kilometers along a trail. The water at Kbal Chhay comes... read more
The untouched beach of Ream is located in the Ream National Park. Take Route 4 to the Airport road 18km north of town. Turn right, go 9km to the ocean. The beach to the right is long and narrow and frequented more by fishermen than tourists. Behind the beach is a mangrove swamp, which attracts a wide variety of tropical... read more
Located at a distance of 3 kilometers from the provincial town, Wat Krom, Sihanoukville is one of the popular Tourist Attractions in Sihanoukville. The city of Sihanoukville is a port city on the Gulf of Thailand in southern Cambodia and Wat Krom, Sihanoukville is just 5 minutes from the Sihanoukville city. Explore the historical... read more
Koh Rong Sanloem is changing fast. Photos and descriptions from two years ago will be out of date. There are two main places to stay: Saracen's bay or Mpei bay. There are also private one hostel only beaches on lazy beach or Mad Monkey, these may require direct transfers or a lot of walking. read more
Otres Beach is the next beach south of Ochheuteal Beach and resembles Ochheuteal in many ways - a three kilometer crescent of near white sand facing the southwest. But Otres is far less developed and touristed than Ochheuteal, offering a more leisurely, relaxed atmosphere, and caught the eye of Forbes this year, listed amongst the... read more